- 3 fresh crabs cleaned and halved, leave the main shell whole
- Some flour
- 3 large onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- a knob of ginger
- Fresh chillies to taste
- Chilli flakes or dried chillies to taste
- 4-6 macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon belacan (shrimp paste)
- 1 large onion chopped (yes, another one)
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup/sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup stock
- Salt to taste
- Oil - lots of it
- First, you need to make the rempah or spice paste. Combine the onion (the first 3), garlic, ginger, various chillies, and macadamia nuts in a food processor. Blitz until they turn to paste. You make this as fine or chunky as you like.
- Heat up some oil for deep frying.
- Coat the crab pieces in flour. Shake off the excess flour. Fry the crab pieces until they are about half way done. This should take approximately 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat up a bit of oil then saute the chopped onion (yes, the other one) until it is nicely caramelised.
- Add the rempah and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato ketchup and the sugar. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock. Reduce the sauce to a consistency you prefer.
- Add the fried crab pieces. Make sure all the crab is coated well by the sauce.
- Lower the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the crab pieces are cooked.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander. Serve hot!
Source: The Bean Counter
Share It To Your Friends!