Baked Empanadas Recipe
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup ice water (place it in the freezer before you start working)
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar (helps achieve tender, flaky dough)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the flour and salt in food processor bowl. Pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat together the egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to food processor bowl. Pulse a few times, just until dough forms.
- Remove the dough from food processor. Shape into a flat disk. Chill in fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté about 4 minutes, until soft. Add thegarlic and cook 1 more minute, stirring. Add the beef. Cook about 3 more minutes, until lightly browned. Add the salt and pepper, cumin and paprika. Cook one more minute, stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together egg and water for the egg wash. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow to rest 5 minutes at room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough as thin as you can - to about ⅛ inch thickness. Cut twelve 4-inch circles. Scraps can be re-rolled.
- Place one heaping tablespoon meat mixture on one half of each circle, leaving a ½-inch border. Brush egg wash on empty side of circle, fold dough over to make a half-circle and close edges, then crimp the edges with a fork.
- Arrange the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Bake 10 minutes. Turn the empanadas over, brush the other side and bake 10 minutes longer, until lightly browned on both sides. Cool ten minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Source: Healthy Recipes
Baked Empanadas Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Monday, April 17, 2017 Rating: