- 1 kg beef brisket, cut into cubes
- 1 large seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed
- 8-10 pcs round small taro, peeled
- 12-15 pcs okra
- 1 bunch water spinach, trimmed
- 1 large white onion, cut into wedges
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 stalk lemongrass, white part only, whole and pounded
- 4 pcs green finger chillies
- 40g packet sinigang (tamarind) mix or 400 g tamarind
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Boil beef in water for 10 minutes just to remove the scum, rinse in running water to remove any impurities.
- Place watermelon on the bottom then top it with beef, onion, ginger and lemongrass then top it up with water just enough to cover everything. If using tamarind place it on a muslin cloth and tie the ends. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour minutes.
- Add the taro then continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the sinigang mix or if using tamarind extract all the juice by wringing the muslin cloth multiple times then remove once all juice is extracted. Remove the lemongrass at this point.
- Add green finger chillies and okra then cook for 5 minutes.
- While boiling add the kangkong leaves and cover, turn of the heat.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and fish sauce.
Source: Honest Cooking
Share It To Your Friends!