Pasta With Clams, Kale & Breadcrumbs Recipe
- 1 dozen small littleneck clams
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (preferably from a stale baguette)
- 1/2 lb pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 4-6 large leaves kale, stems trimmed and sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon butter (or substitute with extra-virgin olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and scrub clams under cold water. Soak the clams in cold water and set aside. Remove the thick stems by holding each leaf from the stem and stripping the greens away. Finely slice the kale and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan and add the fresh breadcrumbs along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to coat evenly and remove from pan once the breadcrumbs begin to smell toasty (about 1-2 minutes). Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package until al dente. Drain, retaining 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a clean saucepan that has a lid and add the garlic. Once it becomes fragrant, add the chilies and let sizzle another few seconds. Add the white wine and increase heat to high to bring it to a boil. Add the drained clams and cover the pan. Let cook for 3-4 minutes before peeking; if most of the clams have opened up, continue. If not, cover and wait another minute before peeking again.
- Stir in the kale leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the kale is mostly wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta and its 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Add the butter or extra tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.
Source: Not Eating out In New York
Pasta With Clams, Kale & Breadcrumbs Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Rating: