Braised Oxtail With Asian Flavours Recipe
- 2.5 kilos oxtail
- 500 ml tomato juice (canned variety)
- 500 ml water
- 4 star anise
- 3 dried chilies (I used 2 dried and 1 fresh)
- 1/2 fresh orange peel (removed with a vegetable peeler so there is no pith)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 85 ml soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 thumb sized pieces of fresh ginger, thinly sliced (18 slices)
- Line a large baking dish with baking paper and arrange the oxtail in one layer. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in a 220c (conventional oven so if you are using fan forced, adjust the time) for 30 minutes until nicely browned.
- Remove the oxtail and place the pieces in a casserole dish. Bring down the oven temperature to 180c.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and pour it on the oxtail, making sure to scatter around the ginger, garlic, star anise etc. Cover with baking paper (to stop any exposed meat from drying out) and a tight fitting lid and bake at 180c for 2.5 hours. This dish can also be cooked a day or two ahead, in which case, bake for 2 hours and then reheat for 40 minutes at 180c.
Braised Oxtail With Asian Flavours Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Rating: