Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 500 g organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced (for less heat, scrape out the seeds and pith)
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (1.125 litres)
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese plum wine) *see notes below
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (Japanese)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or muscovado sugar
- 200 g crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium head Chinese/Napa cabbage, shredded
- 2 x 200 g packages udon noodles
- 1 generous handful fresh chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet (or empty wine bottle!) until the chicken is even in thickness. Proceed with the remaining chicken, remove from the plastic and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt and pepper, then add to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides and JUST cooked through; about 3 minutes per side (adjust time according depending on size of breasts). Remove from the heat and let chicken rest in the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the green onions, garlic, ginger, and fresh chilli; sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, transfer chicken to a cutting board and slice into strips.
- Stir in the sugar, mushrooms and cabbage and return the soup to a boil. Add the noodles and chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes longer until noodles are tender.
- Serve this Asian chicken noodle soup warm sprinkled with cilantro (or parsley). Enjoy!
Source: Elle Republic
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Friday, March 10, 2017 Rating: