Szechuan Braised Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 5- to 6-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder,
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup Szechuan sauce,
- 4 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 15-ounce can straw mushrooms, rinsed
- 2 scallions, sliced (optional)
- Gently mix beef, water chestnuts, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, five-spice powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Shape the mixture into 12 balls (use about 2 tablespoons each to make 1½-inch meatballs). Whisk broth and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet or nonstick wok over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning once, until brown, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds. Add the reserved broth mixture, Szechuan sauce, cabbage and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the cabbage is just wilted, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer, return the meatballs to the pan, cover and cook until the sauce is thickened and the meatballs are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions (if using).
Source: Eat Well
Szechuan Braised Meatballs Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Friday, February 24, 2017 Rating: