Malaysian Spareribs Curry Recipe
- 1 pound worth of spareribs, cleaned and marinated in 1 tbsp corn flour for at least 1 hour
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts smashed with a cleaver or the back of a heavy knife
- 1 handful of fresh curry leaves (discard the stems), rinsed (these can be found in most Indian grocery stores)
- 3 tbsps curry powder mixed with about 1 tbsp of water or slightly more
- 3 medium sized potatoes, skin removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsps light soy sauce or to taste
- Small piece of belacan (shrimp paste), say about 1 tsp worth - toasted in the oven or dry-fried in the wok
- 5 red chilli peppers, sliced - seeded for less heat
- 5 candlenuts
- 8 dried red chilli peppers, soaked in hot water for about 10 minutes to soften
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 inch worth of turmeric (or use turmeric powder - about 1 tbsp)
- Deep or shallow fry the potato wedges in hot oil until lightly browned. Remove from pan/ wok and set aside.
- With the same oil, fry the spareribs briefly until the surface starts turning whitish. Remove from heat and set aside. Discard oil and clean your wok.
- Heat your wok again until almost smoking. Add about 3 tbsps of oil. Turn heat down to medium and add in the chilli paste you prepared earlier. Fry until aromatic. If you see that the mixture is getting dry, do add more oil. Once aromatic, add in the smashed lemongrass and curry leaves. Fry again till you smell the curry leaves and lemongrass. Add in the curry powder mixed with water and stir around to incorporate.
- Add in the previously fried spareribs and stir around to coat well. Turn heat to high and add about 3/4 cup of water, or just enough to cover the spareribs. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and do a taste test, add a bit of soy to taste. Add in the potatoes. Turn heat to high again and bring to a boil. Add in the coconut milk and bring to a quick boil, the sauce should start thickening. Do another taste test and add more soy if required. Dish out and serve hot.
Source: Smoky Wok
Malaysian Spareribs Curry Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Saturday, February 04, 2017 Rating: