- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups good quality chicken broth (I like the Imagine and Pacific varieties)
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into eighths
- 4 large celery stalks, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, halved lengthwise and sliced into ½ inch slices (white and pale green section only)
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus extra for salting dumpling water
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- Melt butter in large saucepan and add flour, whisking until smooth. Whisk chicken broth into flour mixture and continue whisking over medium-high heat until smooth and at a low boil, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, leek, ½ cup parsley and thyme to broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While broth is simmering, make dumplings. Mix eggs, milk, butter, parsley, salt and pepper together until well-blended. Stir in flour (batter will be soft). Drop teaspoonfuls of the dumpling batter in the broth and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken to broth, simmer until heated through, add salt and pepper as needed and serve.
Source: Framed Cook
Share It To Your Friends!