Café Con Leche Flan Recipe
- 1 cup Sugar Granulated
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Lime juice /
- ½ cup Water
- 1¼ tsps Agar powder (if using flakes - 2½tsp)
- 2 cups Vanilla soy Almond milk or (I used Original Soy and it tasted awesome)
- 2 tbsps Arrowroot Cornstarch powder or
- 1 cup Coconut milk (lite or regular)
- ½ cup sugar Granulated
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp espresso coffee Instant powder or Instant
- 2 tsps Vanilla extract (I forgot to add this, but it was still yummy :-))
- Caramel: Have 4 - 6 individual clean, dry glass or ceramic ramekins or 2 larger 2-cups serving bowls.
- Terry has a recipe for microwave caramel that I followed and it was done lickety split with no worries: Pour sugar in a microwaveable 2-cup or 4-cup measuring cup. Add water and lime/lemon juice. Stir well to combine. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes; DO NOT stir again.
- At about 3½ - 4 minutes mark, sugar will be melted and rapidly bubbling. Soon after that it will turn pale golden, then increasingly amber. Once the browning starts, it will continue to do so very rapidly, so keep a very close eye. My caramel reached the required dark amber color around the 5 minute mark. Stop the microwave and using oven mitts carefully remove from the oven. Alternatively caramel can be made on the stove using David Lebovitz's method.
- Once the caramel is very hot and ready, pour it quickly into a thin layer onto the bottoms of the ramekins. Gently tilt the ramekin and let the caramel reach about ½ inch up the sides. Set the molds aside and let cool. Prepare the flan.
- Flan: In a large sauce, combine the water and agar powder and bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of soy milk and cornstarch and set aside.
- After most of the agar has dissolved, add the rest of the milk, coconut milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar and instant coffee. Mix well.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, then lower the heat again.
- Whisk the soy milk-corn starch mixture and stir rapidly into the simmering coconut milk mixture. Cook and stir constantly until the mixture thickens slightly and the cornstarch is completely cooked (the mixture should taste smooth, not chalky), about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla and remove from the heat.
- Pour into the caramel lined molds, leaving a minimum of ½ inch from the top of the molds.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then allow to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve the chilled flan: Gently run a knife along the sides of the flan. Invert the ramekin onto a serving plate and the flan should slide right onto the plate.
Source: Cook's Hideout
Café Con Leche Flan Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Monday, February 27, 2017 Rating: