Mango Chiffon Cake With Swiss Meringue Buttercream Recipe
For the Cake:
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the buttercream:
- 12 tbsp pasteurized egg whites from a carton or 6 egg whites
- 1 and 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature and slightly softened
- 1 cup of mango puree ( canned or fresh)
For the filling:
- 1 cup sliced mango ( fresh or from the canned ones)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 9 inch round pans and line them with pre-cut parchment paper. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until lighter in color. Add in the oil and milk and mix with a spatula.
- Sift the flour mixture over the yolk mixture. Mix using the electric mixer just until smooth and lump free. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy.Add in the cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar until egg whites reach the stiff peaks stage.
- Fold a dollop of the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold remaining egg whites into the yolks in thirds. You should achieve a batter that is uniform in color.
- Pour batter into two round cake pans, dividing evenly. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cakes come out clean. Cakes should be springy to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Unmold cakes onto flat surface and peel off the parchment paper.
- Make the icing:Set up a double boiler by placing a heat proof glass on top of a pot halfway filled with simmering water. Pour 6 egg whites ( or 12 tbsp of pasteurized egg whites) into the glass bowl, add in the sugar and start whisking using a wire whisk. You have to keep whisking until the mixture is frothy and the sugar has dissolved completely. This usually takes about 12-15 minutes. Take off the glass bowl from the heat and set it in the electric mixer. Beat the mixture using low speed until stiff peaks form. This usually takes about 20 minutes or more.The egg whites should be cool to the touch. Add half of the butter and mix until all dissolved, add the remaining half and mix until mixture is smooth. The buttercream may start to form curds,it is normal. Continue mixing until smooth and fluffy. Add in 1 teaspoon of mango extract. Mix for about 2 minutes.
- Make the filling: ( I made the icing and filling first. I refrigerated the filling while the cake was baking and I stored the icing in an airtight container and placed it in the counter.)
- Combine mango slices, water and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 8 minutes in low heat until syrup is thick. Remove from heat. Transfer mango slices into a container and refrigerate.
- Decorate/Ice the cake:Spread a thin and even layer of mango butter cream on top of one cake. Put mango slices on top of the butter cream/icing. Be sure to cover spaces evenly. Put the other cake on top and now you have filled your mango cake. Ice and decorate the whole cake. I start icing the top, putting on as much icing as I can so its easier to work with and the spatula will not catch crumb pieces from the cake. You might think you don’t have enough icing to cover the cake but you will soon get the icing back as you scrape the icing from the cake to smoothen the surface. Make sure your spatula is free from icing when your smoothing the surface.
- To make the mango glaze: Sprinkle half a teaspoon of know clear gelatin powder over 1 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Microwave for 4-5 minutes at a time until mixture is clear. Let this cool slightly and stir into 1 cup of mango puree. Pour the glaze over top of the cake, letting some to drip on the sides.
Source: Woman Scribbles
Mango Chiffon Cake With Swiss Meringue Buttercream Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Thursday, January 26, 2017 Rating: