Grilled Calamari With Grapefruit, Olives And Pine Nuts Recipe
- 1 pound baby squid (tubes and tentacles), cleaned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup 100% Florida grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling
Pinch red chile flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit, cut into segments
- 1 cup baby arugula, washed and dried completely
- 1/4 cup green olives (about 8), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
- Pat squid dry with paper towels. Stir together garlic, grapefruit juice, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, red chile flakes and a big pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Separate out 3 tablespoons of this marinade into a smaller bowl, add the squid and toss to coat.
- Heat a large grill pan over high heat. Wait until it’s very hot to start cooking or else the squid will stick.
- While the pan heats up, toss grapefruit segments, arugula, olives, currants and pine nuts in the large bowl of marinade.
- Lightly brush the grill pan with oil. Shake the squid of any excess marinade, lay it on the hot grill and cook about 3 minutes per side for the tubes; cook the tentacles until nice and crispy, about 5 minutes total. Work in batches if necessary. If the squid sticks after 3 minutes, cook another 30 seconds; it will release when it’s cooked.
- Toss tentacles into the large bowl. Slice tubes into thin rings. Toss calamari with the arugula mixture. Taste for seasoning. Serve immediately.
Source: This Mama Cooks
Grilled Calamari With Grapefruit, Olives And Pine Nuts Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Friday, January 27, 2017 Rating: