- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 (6 oz.) tub of Greek yogurt, brought to room temperature
- 2 medium or 1 large onion, quartered
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 green chili, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds, soaked in hot water for an hour
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 whole large, black cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp. shah jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. kewra water/pandanus extract
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- Soak poppy seeds in hot water for an hour.
- Blanch onions and garlic in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and strain.
- Whip yogurt until fluffy and set aside.
- Strain poppy seeds and blend until thick and smooth.
- Add yogurt, onions, garlic, ginger paste, white pepper, kewra water & blend, just until combined.
- Marinate chicken in blended paste for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add marinated chicken, cover and simmer.
- After about 30 minutes, when chicken is tender, adjust salt and sugar.
- Garnish with cilantro, slit green chilies and garam masala powder.
- Serve with hot rice or chapatis.
Source: Chumkies Kitchen
Share It To Your Friends!