- cooking oil 1 tbsp
- red onion ½, finely chopped
- whole sardines 350g, scaled and gutted
- coconut water 150ml (or use fresh water plus 1 tsp sugar)
- bird’s eye chilli 1
- black pepper a pinch
- coconut caramel 1 tsp
- sugar 1 tsp
- fish sauce 1 tbsp
- vegetable oil 1 tsp
- cooked rice to serve
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the onion until browned.
- Add the sardines to the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the coconut water, chilli, pepper, coconut caramel, sugar, fish sauce and vegetable oil. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with cooked rice, or a palate-cleansing soup and fried greens.
Source: Chok Chow
Share It To Your Friends!