- 1 whole adult octopus, cleaned, cut in bitesize pieces, ink sac carefully separated
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water for marinating
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 dried bay leaves, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of boiling water for blanching
- Marinate the cuts of octopus in soy sauce, vinegar, water, salt and pepper for 45 minutes. Drain the octopus and save the marinade for Step 3. Set the marinated octopus aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep skillet. Saute garlic and caramelize the onion for 5 minutes.
- Pour the marinade on the caramelized onion and garlic. Drop the bayleaves in if using. Add the octopus ink. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced. Turn the heat off.
- While the sauce is simmering: bring water to a brisk boil in a separate sauce pan. Blanch the marinated octopus for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the blanched octopus to the adobo sauce. Stir to mix and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve warm with steamed rice.
Source: Filipino Food Aficionado
Share It To Your Friends!