- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis (or dark soy sauce)
- half tsp tamarind paste or juice of 1 lime
- fresh coriander and mint, chopped (to serve)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 4-5 red chillies, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp belacan (shrimp paste)
- Whizz the paste ingredients up in a blender. (Add a splash of water if the paste is very stiff).
- Deep fry the hard-boiled eggs until lightly browned. (The outside of the eggs will become slightly bobbly.)
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the paste and fry gently for 1 minute or so until begins to colour and releases its fragrance.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and tamarind paste or lime juice. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and a splash of water if very thick.
- Add the deep-fried eggs and stir well to coat.
- Serve immediately with a few chopped herbs.
Source: Marmaduke Scarlet
Share It To Your Friends!