- beef, ribs or ox tail - 1 kilo, cut into small pieces
- beef, shank - 1/2 kilo
- pork, legs - 1 kilo, cut into small round pieces
- lemongrass - 6 stalks
- lemongrass - 1/2 cup, chopped
- shallot - 2, sliced thinly
- onion - peeled
- shrimp paste - 3-4 tablespoon
- garlic - 5 cloves, crushed
- fish sauce - 1/4 cup
- rice noodle - 1-2 kilos
- cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
- chili powder - 2 teaspoons
- Wash all your ingredients and separate them into individual bowls.
- In a large pot, put the beef ribs or ox tail inside and add 3 liters of water. Allow this to boil and scoop out all the scum that will float on the broth.
- Add the whole onion and lemongrass stalks and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- After this, add the beef shank and the pork legs in the pot and let it boil for 30 minutes. Check the soup once in a while and scoop any scum in it. This will give you a clearer broth. Then with a use of a fork, prick the pork legs if they are already tender. If so, scoop them out of the pot and place them in a bowl and set aside. If not, continue cooking until it is already tender. Continue cooking the beef shank until it is ready.
- When the beef shank is already tender, prepare a bowl with ice water in it and give the beef an ice bath. Place your beef in the fridge and cut it later before serving.
- Continue simmering the broth.
- On the other side of the stove, get a pan and make your sauce. Drizzle oil, saute the garlic, shallots, and the chopped lemongrass. Add the chili powder, shrimp paste, fish sauce, and sugar. Mix it well.
- When the soup base is almost done, pour in the sauce that you cooked and let it mix very well. Taste the soup and season it with a little more salt and sugar if it needs to be. Then turn off the heat.
- Serve bun bo bue in a bowl of rice noodles, topped with the beef and pork legs, and serve with a platter of different vegetables like lettuce, mint leaves, shredded morning glory, banana heart, and banana trunk.
Source: Joyce Ira Cooks
Share It To Your Friends!