- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 thumb-size ginger, cut to strips
- 5 to 10 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium bulb onion, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 whole spring chicken, cut to pieces
- 1 large green mango (manggang kalabaw or any sour variety), peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan. Toss in the ginger. When the ginger turns light brown, add garlic and sauté until medium brown.
- Add the onion and stir until slightly tender. Put fish sauce. Mix until the fish sauce is reduced. Stir in the chicken. Cover the pan and allow the chicken to be boiled in its own juice. Stir occasionally until the water is reduced. Allow the chicken to be fried in its own fat.
- Add cooking oil if necessary. When the chicken turns to medium brown, put the mango to one side of the pan. Cover the pan.
- Put in low flame. When the mango softens, remove it from the mixture and mash in a small bowl.
- Put back the mashed mango in the mixture. You may add two to four tablespoons of water at this point if the pan is too dry.
- Add ground black pepper. Use fish sauce to balance the sourness with saltiness.
Source: Kitchen 101
Share It To Your Friends!