- 1 chicken breast half, diced into bite size pieces
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 butternut squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- fish sauce to taste
- 4 lemongrass stalks (white and pale green parts only), sliced
- 3 shallots peeled
- 2 whole garlic heads, cut in half
- 5-15 dried red chilies
- 3" piece galangal or ginger, peeled
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems and leaves (include the roots if there is)
- 1 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tumeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons shrimp paste or 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon chili soaking water
- To make the yellow curry paste; Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Soak the chili in warm water for 15 minutes. Take the chilies out and reserve 2-3 tablespoon of the soaking water.
- Prepare 3 pieces of foil to wrap shallots, garlic and ginger separately. Wrap them and seal the edges, and place them on a baking sheet. Roast them for 30 minutes. You will need to remove the ginger in 10 minutes after you put in.
- Squeeze out the roasted garlic from its skin, throw in a food processor along with shallots, ginger, chilies and the rest of the ingredients. Process until they become smooth paste. Set aside.
- To make the curry; Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft. Add the chicken, pumpkin, and 1/3 of the yellow curry paste and toss to coat well. Add the coconut milk and stir well to incorporate. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season the curry with fish sauce according to your taste. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot with rice.
Source: Beyond Kimchee
Share It To Your Friends!