- 1 pound catfish filets (bone and skin optional)
- salt to clean the fish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
- About ½ teaspoon thick soy sauce
- ½ cup water & ½ cup coconut juice (OR 1 cup coconut soda)
- 1 chile, sliced (to taste, optional)
- freshly ground black pepper (you can add it here, or as a final topping when serving the fish)
- 1 stalk chopped green onion (scallion)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sliced red chile (optional)
- Generously salt fish and rinse under water to clean it. Set aside to dry.
- Add oil to a pan and saute garlic over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Layer onion on top, then the fish, evenly spaced.
- Add the seasoning & cooking liquid (& optional chiles) and turn the heat to high until boiling. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.
- Bring it to a simmer for ~20 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Gently flip the filets of fish over and simmer for a final ~10 minutes with the lid partially covered.
- Stand there to watch it the final ~10 minutes to prevent it from burning! During this time you can continually spoon the sauce over the fish.
- Add green onion during last 2 minutes to wilt & top with sliced chiles, and some freshly ground black pepper.
Source: Hungry Huy
Share It To Your Friends!