- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled, finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (coarsely crushed in a mortar and pestle)
- 10–12 whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 ounces canned crushed tomatoes or 2 cups peeled, diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 pounds fresh mussels
- 1 tablespoon Tempered Oil
- For the Tempered Oil:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10–12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- In a 4-quart pot over medium heat, add the oil. Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, black peppercorns, asafoetida, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cilantro and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups of water and cook for 8 minutes on a low heat. Add the mussels, cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the mussels are opened. Remove from the heat. Transfer the mussels and broth to a serving bowl and finish with the tempered oil.
- To make the Tempered Oil:
- In a small pan over medium heat, add oil. Add the curry leaves and mustard seeds; when the mustard seeds begin to pop, remove the oil from the flame, about 30 seconds. Drizzle the oil over the mussels and broth.
Share It To Your Friends!