- 1 slab of pork belly (liempo, lechon kawali cut) approx. 500 - 750 grams
- pot of boiling water
- rock salt
- aluminum foil for wrapping
- Boil water - add a tablespoon of salt after it simmers (if you put salt early, it will take longer to boil as salt lowers the temperature of water)
- Put in slab of pork belly, cover pot and boil for 45 - 60 mins. or until tender, depending on size of meat
- Before meat gets fully cooked, pre-heat oven at 200°c (about 390°f)
- Take out the cooked pork, drain and let it rest for a few minutes
- The pork slab will shrink after boiling
- Tip: Score the top layer of the skin into squares (this way, it's easier to slice through the meat when the skin gets toasted after roasting).
- Rub about 1 tablespoon rock salt all over the cooked slab, making sure the skin side is well seasoned
- Wrap in foil, exposing only the top
- Place the wrapped salted pork on a tray and put in the pre-heated oven (the rack should be a step up from the middle if you have an oven with top broiler like mine, so skin gets nicely browned)
- Roast for 45 minutes or until the top skin is cracked, browned and toasted
- You will see some bubbling on the skin while roasting
- When it's done, carefully remove from oven and let it rest for a few minutes before chopping.
- Slice through the cuts from the skin.
- Serve immediately to enjoy the crackling skin and juicy meat slices. Lechon kawali is a family favorite during gatherings but as you can see here, it's pretty easy to cook on a more regular basis.
Share It To Your Friends!