- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 can (14.5oz) whole plum tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons pimento stuffed Spanish olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (and thawed if using frozen)
- Additional chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked rice or French bread, for serving
- Heat the oil in a small caldero or large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and green pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes along with their liquid, olives, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, bay leaf and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Crush the tomatoes with the back of a spoon and bring the sauce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sauté for 2-4 minutes. Do not overcook. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro before serving. Serve over rice or with bread for sopping up the sauce.
Share It To Your Friends!