- 1 piece Ox Tongue (~2 kgs.)
- Water to cover
- Black pepper corns
- Salt to taste (approx. 1 tsp.)
- 1-2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 can button mushrooms whole, cut in half
- 1 tetra pack all-purpose cream
- Ox tongue broth
- 1/2 cup Frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the ox tongue thoroughly, rub with salt (then, rub with vinegar if needed) and rinse.
- In a large pot, place ox tongue and cover with enough water.
- Add bay leaves, pepper corns and salt (start with 1-1.5 tablespoons).
- Simmer over very low heat. The ox tongue we used was about 2 kgs. and it took around 3-3.5 hours to tenderize the meat. You can opt to use a pressure cooker, where it will only take ~40 mins to 1 hr.
- Allow to cool before slicing thinly. Make sure to save the broth.
- In a large skillet, put 3 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter.
- Sear the sliced ox tongue until brown on both sides, about 2 mins per side. Set aside.
- Remove excess oil or add more if needed.
- Sautee garlic and onions until slightly brown.
- Add mushrooms and ox tongue broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream and simmer. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add peas.
- You can put back the seared ox tongue and simmer, or just pour the sauce on top.
Source:The Kitchen Invader
Share It To Your Friends!