- 1/2 kilo (500g) medium size squid – whole, cleaned (remove ink sac)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 small lemon (or 2 calamansi)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 red Thai chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
- 4-5 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pat the squid dry with paper towels. Season the squid with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a grill pan on the stove over over medium-high heat.
- Combine lemon juice, coriander, chillies, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and whisk until the dressing is well incorporated. Set aside.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the squid and then place on the grill. Let cook for about a minute or so on each side. They will cook quickly, so you need to take them off the grill once they turn opaque.
- Transfer the grilled squid on to a chopping board and cut into bite-sized rings, but leave the heads whole. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Drizzle over some more olive oil and sprinkle chopped cilantro over the dish right before serving. Insalata di calamari can be eaten warm or cold.
Share It To Your Friends!