- 1½ pounds of broccoli, (cleaned and cut into 1½ inch florets)
- 1½ pounds strip loin steak (ask for it thick cut to 1½ inches)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp peanut oil (or canola oil)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- ⅔ cup beef stock
- Cornstarch Slurry ( 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp cold water)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Steam the broccoli florets for only about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drop the steamed florets into a big bowl of ice water to stop the cooking action. Drain the florets from the cold water and set aside.
- Slice the beef across the grain in thin slices. Heat the peanut oil in a wok at the highest heat. Lightly season the beef strips with salt and pepper and cook the beef strips in small batches for only a couple of minutes in the wok. Set aside.
- Saute the minced garlic in the wok for a minute before adding the freshly ground nutmeg, Chinese five spice powder, fresh grated ginger , hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and beef stock. Simmer together for a few minutes before adding enough of the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Taste the sauce and do a final seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the toasted sesame oil.
- Toss the cooked beef strips and broccoli back into the sauce and toss together over high heat only for a minute until the broccoli is heated through.
- Serve over rice or Chinese noodles. Toasted cashews make a nice garnish too.
Source: Rock Recipes
Share It To Your Friends!