- 3 to 4 lbs. ham, cured & smoked
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 24 oz. root beer (good quality & not diet)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cooking Directions
- *Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the ham in a broiling pan and cut shallow gashes in a criss-cross pattern across the top half. Combine the brown sugar and the dry mustard and pat it all over the ham pressing firmly. Put in the oven.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and cook until the liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Strain. (If you taste the glaze here it will not taste the same as it will baking with the ham and the sugar, so keep that in mind and taste after its out of the oven)
- Spoon some of the glaze over the top of the ham. Spoon more glaze, at 15 mins intervals, until it is all used.
- Continue baking until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F on a meat thermometer (my 3lb. took about an hour). Remove from oven, (taste glaze here to see if it needs anything else) spoon more glaze drippings over top again and allow to rest for about one hour before cutting and serving.
Source: Forkful Of Comfort
Share It To Your Friends!