- 3 large or 4 small pork chops (boneless or bone-in)
- 3 cups water
- 2½ Tbsp salt
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 small or 1 large eggplant*
- 2 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 large onion, sliced into rounds
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- salt, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, dry thyme
- ½ cup beer (or water)
- Place the pork chops in a shallow dish. Boil 1 cup of water, add 2½ Tbsp salt and stir to dissolve the salt. Add 2 remaining cups of cold water and pour the brine over top to cover the chops. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Cut eggplants in rounds, sprinkle with salt and leave in a colander for about 30 minutes. Wash and squeeze out the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Place oil in a 11½ x 7 inch (30x18 cm) baking dish and put in the oven until oil is hot.
- Take pork chops out of brine, pat them dry with paper towel, sprinkle with salt, freshly ground black pepper and paprika. Lay the pork chops in the hot baking dish. Sear until the both sides of the chops are golden, about 3 minutes.
- Peel and cut the potatoes (and other vegetables you are using) in large chunks. Place them in a large bowl, together with eggplants, onion and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and dry thyme.
- Put vegetables in baking dish, add beer and stir. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for an hour.
- Uncover and check whether meat and potatoes are done. Place pork chops on top of vegetables and return everything in the oven. Bake, uncovered, for about 10 more minutes.
Source: Kitchen Nostalgia
Share It To Your Friends!