- 1 lb Trout Fish - Cut into equal pieces *
- 3 Tbsp Onion Paste - Can be made by grinding a large onion-no water added
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- ½ Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 6 Tbsp Mustard Oil - You may use canola/vegetable or corn oil as per choice
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Black Mustard seeds - You may use yellow seeds too
- 1 Large Green Chili
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf - Optional
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt - As per taste
* Marinate *
- In a deep bowl, whisk together turmeric, salt and mustard oil.
- Coat the fish and let it marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- In a grinder, add mustard seeds, chili, salt and pulse to form a thick smooth paste. (Be careful not to over grind as it may result in bitter mustard paste)
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil till you see smoke coming out (Flame can be high).
- Reduce the heat immediately.
- Fry the marinated fish to a slightly golden brown consistency on both sides.(Lightly turn the fish as it may break).
- Once the fish is fried, keep them aside on paper towel to soak any extra oil.
- In the same pan, add 3 tbsp mustard oil and heat it to a smoking point.
- Add bay leaf, mustard seeds, nigella seeds and let them splatter cook for for ½ minute.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger paste and sauté on medium heat till onions are browned.
- Now add 2 tbsp of mustard paste, remaining spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated fish and cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Now remove the cover, add water, sauté the fish slightly and cover cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve hot with rice or grain of choice.
Source: Easy Cooking With Molly
Share It To Your Friends!