- 2 (about 4 lbs) Dungeness Crabs, cut into 6 pieces (each crab), reserved Tomalley, if any
- 25 to 30 g Tamarind Paste, soften with 150 ml of Water, strained, discard seeds
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Sea Salt To Taste
- 4 Tbsp Peanut or any vegetable oil
- 30 (30 g) Dried Chilies, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- 8 (130 g) Shallots, peeled, chopped
- 4 Candlenuts (Buah Keras)
- Make Sambal Paste:Soak the dried chili pieces with boiling water until they are soften, about 10 minutes. Drain the soaked chilies with a colander, and make sure to shake off all the seeds. Combine all the ingredients and process until it becomes a fine paste.
- In a large wok or saucepan over moderate heat, fry the sambal paste with 4 Tbsp oil until fragrant. Turn the heat on high and mix in the tamarind mixture and bring it to a boil. Toss in the crabs; stir well until the crabs are coated with the sambal. Mix in the tomalley, and season with sugar and salt. Lower the heat, closed with a lid for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the crabs are fully cook and the sambal almost dry. Dish out and serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Seasalt With Food
Share It To Your Friends!