- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, visible fat removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups homemade beef stock or canned unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound) cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 large carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup stock
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on one side for 5 minutes without turning over. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Turn meat, add 1 tsp. oil & brown another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Do not crowd the meat. Brown in two batches if necessary.
- With all the meat browned and in the pan, reduce heat to medium. Add onion & garlic. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes until onion is browned.
- Add stock (enough to cover the meat), salt, thyme & bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover & simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally.
- After 2 hours, stir in potatoes, carrots & celery and bring to a boil. Cover & simmer 10-15 minutes until vegetables are done.
- Combine flour with 1/4 cup stock or water, whisking until there are no lumps. Stir into stew and cook 5 more minutes until thickened.
Source:Jenny Can Cook
Share It To Your Friends!