- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 pounds ground beef, or ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- Dried red pepper flakes, to taste – I used a sprinkle, but feel free to use 1 teaspoon, or 1 tablespoon – up to you!
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce or 2 cups fresh tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1 2/3 cups organic beef broth, preferably low sodium
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 19-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large 5-quart pot, preferably a dutch oven, heat the oil over low heat and cook the onions in it for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and carrots and cook for one minute more. Raise the heat to medium and add the beef and about 1 tsp of salt.
- Break up any lumps and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 12 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and peppers flakes and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth and vinegar and simmer the chili, covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, bell peppers, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, until the bell peppers are tender.
- Serve atop a bed of white rice and enjoy!
Source:Mind Over Batter
Share It To Your Friends!