- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more as needed
- ½ cup onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 pork cutlets, pounded thin
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs + 3 tablespoons water, whisked well
- panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil for frying
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and sautée mushrooms until golden. Add the onions and cook until soft, then add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook for a few minutes to cook off the alcohol. Add the chicken stock and cream. Cook down until the sauce is thick. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs each in separate shallow dishes. Season each with a little salt & pepper. Dredge the pork in flour, then dip in the egg wash and finally coat with the bread crumbs. You can prepare these ahead of time and refrigerate before cooking.
- Heat ½" canola oil in a 12" cast iron skillet over high heat. When the oil is just beginning to smoke, add the breaded pork and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about three to four minutes per side, until the pork is very crispy and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt + pepper.
- Serve the Pork Schnitzel with the finished mushroom sauce.
Source: Salt Pepper Skillet
Share It To Your Friends!