- 2 lbs. stew meat
- 1/4 cup oil for browning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 large cans stewed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-3 large carrots or 1 bag baby carrots
- 3-4 cups pre-cooked taro
- 3 cans beef broth
- Heat oil in large pot and brown the stew meat on high heat.
- Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, stewed tomatoes and beef broth. Cook on medium high heat for 2.5 hours.
- Add water if necessary. You want to keep the liquid at the same level as the meat. After 2 hours, check to see if meat is tender.
- After 2.5 hours, add carrots. Simmer for another 30 minutes and serve.
- You can thicken stew with poi or a flour and water slurry if you prefer.
- If adding pre-cooked taro, add taro once carrots are tender and cook for another 10 minutes.
Source:Cooking Hawaiian Style
Share It To Your Friends!