- 1 (about 2 lbs) head green cabbage. cored and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teas ground ginger
- 1/2 teas ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teas ground nutmeg
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, torn into quarters (use good bread, it has to hold up into a paste, not just dissolve)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs bratwurst, removed from casing
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Line the back of your slow cooker with several layers of folded aluminum foil to prevent the back side from over cooking. (Trust me, this goes a long way at serving time). Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the cabbage with 1 tbs oil and 1/2 teas salt in a large bowl in the microwave for 15 to 20 minutes, until softened. Drain the cabbage.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook. stirring often, until onions are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Place half of the onion mix in a large bowl. Meanwhile, add the flour to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, and vinegar. Scrap up any browned bits if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste and let sit for a few minutes on low while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- When cool enough to handle, add bread and milk to the bowl with the onions. Mash with a fork to form a paste. Mix in the beef, bratwurst, and rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the foil lined slow cooker. Add 1/3 of the meat mix and top with 1/3 of the cabbage. Repeat 2 more times. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the foil and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Source: Girl Carnivore
Share It To Your Friends!