- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove
- 12 oz firm tofu
- 5 oz any mushrooms, coarsely chopped*
- 1 egg, large
- 1 cup almond meal**
- 1 cup oat flour**
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp coconut or avocado oil (for frying)
- 1/2 jar (12 oz) your favourite pasta sauce (I like herb flavoured organic with no added sugar)
- Rinse tofu under cold running water, cut into strips/cubes and squeeze out liquid with your hands as much as possible. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add onion and garlic; process until finely chopped scraping off the walls. Add tofu, mushrooms, egg and process until chunky smooth mixture forms. Don’t make it into puree. Add almond meal, oat flour, Parmesan cheese, spinach, salt and pepper; process until well incorporated.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on low-medium heat and swirl 1 tsp of oil to coat. Prepare a small bowl of water and small ice cream/cookie scoop. Place a scoopful of mixture in your hands and roll into a golf size ball. Place on a skillet and repeat with remaining batter, working in batches. Cook meatballs until golden brown, about 5 minutes per each side. Pour jarred sauce on top and cook for a few minutes until warmed through. Serve hot with your choice of whole grain or salad.
*I used a mix of shiitake, brown and chanterelles from a farmer’s market but any kind works. I recommend affordable flavourful brown mushrooms. **Grind almonds and quick/rolled oats in a food processor until coarse type of flour forms.
Source: I Food Real
Share It To Your Friends!