- 1 1/2 lbs beef for stew
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup of good dark soy sauce (I like Silver Swan, found in Asian markets)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- several dashes of Tabasco
- 2-3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped in 2 inch pieces
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate beef in soy sauce, lemon, and black pepper for at least 30 minutes.
- Brown garlic in oil, set aside. Brown beef, working in batches if necessary (reserve the marinade).
- Return beef to pot, add onions and season with patis. When the onions are wilted, add tomato sauce and water and stir.
- After about two minutes, add Tabasco, beef stock, 2 tablespoons of reserved marinade, bay leaves and bell pepper.
- Let come to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Add reserved garlic. Let it stew for several hours, stirring occasionally.
- When meat is tender, add potatoes and carrots. Continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.
Source: Kitchen Confidante
Share It To Your Friends!