- 1 kg pork belly, cut into 1 inch strip.
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 large, red onions, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 eggplants, cut lengthwise then sliced into 1 cm thick
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced, set aside a few slices for garnish
- 1/2 cup, Barrio Fiesta Sweet shrimp paste
- 1 cup pork broth*
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 pork cubes, crushed, (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup oil + more for deep frying the pork (approximately 4 cups)
- Boil the pork in water with salt, pepper and 1 pork cube. After boiling for 5 minutes, turn down the heat and continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes until the pork is tender and the fat is really soft and has a buttery texture. Fish out the pork and set aside 1 cup of pork broth* for later. Slice the pork into 1 inch cube and pop in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Note: You may want to prep while you wait for the pork to cook.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Fry pork per batch until golden brown Be careful not to overcrowd the pan or the pork will stick and the temperature of the oil will drop. Drain and Set aside.
- *Caution: Watch out for the oil splatters!
- In another pan, saute garlic, onion and tomatoes. Then add the shrimp paste, the remaining pork cube, sugar, vinegar and pork broth. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then add the eggplant and jalapeno. Finally, add the pork and toss until well combined. Taste for seasoning. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes. To serve, garnish with jalapeno slices on top. A perfect compliment to rice.
Source: Haidee's Kitchen
Share It To Your Friends!