For the Corned Beef
- 1 (3 lb.) corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 3-inch chunks
- 1 head cabbage, outer leaves removed, and cut into small wedges
- For the Horseradish Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light)
- 2-3 Tbsp. drained horseradish, more or less to taste
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Put the corned beef and seasonings from the packet in a very large pot, large enough to hold all of the veggies too!
- Cover the brisket with water, place the lid on the pot, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 2½ hours.
- Meanwhile, make the Horseradish Sour Cream. Combine the sour cream, horseradish, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, and parsley in a small bowl. Stir to combine, cover and chill until serving time.
- Prepare your veggies. Do not core the cabbage. The core will help hold the cabbage wedges together as it cooks.
- After 2½ hours, add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the pot and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Make the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine all of the glaze ingredients and stir over medium heat for five minutes.
- Remove the brisket from the pot, trim off any large fatty pieces still remaining, and discard. Leave the veggies in the pot for now.
- Place the brisket in a baking pan, and pour the warm glaze over the brisket.
- Place the glazed brisket in the warm oven, and cook for about 10 minutes, basting a couple of times with the run off glaze.
- If desired, turn on the broiler to crisp up the glaze just a bit before removing the brisket from the oven.
- Slice the brisket and serve alongside the vegetables with a hefty dose of the horseradish sour cream.
Source: Chew Nibble Nosh
Share It To Your Friends!