- 1 kg or 2 pounds fresh mussels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup white wine (1 glass) or vegetable broth
- a pinch of cayenne
- black pepper
- minced parsley, to garnish
- 1/2 lemon, to serve
- ciabatta bread, to serve
- white wine, to serve (optional)
- Discard mussels with broken or opened shells, wash the rest in cold running water and if necessary, remove the beards attached to the shells.
- In a large pot, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Chop onion and garlic and add to the pot. Sauteé until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add white wine or vegetable broth, a pinch of cayenne, salt and black pepper. Add mussels to the pot and cover with a lid. Cook for 5-6 minutes, shaking the covered pot occasionally. They are ready once they all open. Discard any closed mussels. Transfer mussels to a serving bowl and garnish with minced parsley. Serve at once with lemon wedges, fresh ciabatta and white wine if desired.
Source: Happy Kitchen Rocks
Share It To Your Friends!