- 100 grams uncooked rice
- 200 grams raw peanuts
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons annatto seeds
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (optional)
- 500 ml good quality coconut milk
- 2 onions
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch snake beans
- 8 pieces lebanese eggplants
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 kilo prawns
- 500 grams squid, cleaned
- 1 kilo large mussels
- salt and fish sauce to taste
- Make the stock, peel the prawns (reserve a few whole ones for presentation) and place the heads in a pot with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the stock and place in another container. Set aside.
- While the stock is simmering, place the rice in a pan and heat until the grains turn a golden brown, around 10 minutes. Place the rice in a spice grinder and grind until fine. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c and place the peanuts in the oven and roast until golden, around 30 minutes. Place the peanuts in a food processor and process until it comes together in a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pot and add the annatto seeds. After around 2 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the seeds to steep in the oil for around 10 minutes.
- Strain the seeds and heat 4 tablespoons of the oil again in the pot used to make the stock. Add the chopped onions and the garlic. Season with salt and saute until the onions are soft and translucent, around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the ground peanuts and ground rice. Cook for around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the prawn stock, a little at a time. If the sauce is too thick, thin out with some water. Taste and adjust the seasoning with some fish sauce and the peanut butter if necessary.
- Place the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Remove from blender and place back into the pot. Taste and adjust seasoning again if necessary.
- At this point, add the coconut milk, depending on how thick you want the stew to be.
- To make the vegetables, Heat the remaining oil and fry off the eggplants until nicely browned. For the rest of the vegetables, you can either place the vegetables in another pot of boiling water and serve on the side of the stew, alternatively, you can add the vegetables to the peanut stew.
- For the seafood, lightly score the squid and pan fry. Boil the mussels until they just open. Add the prawns, squid and mussels right before serving.
- Serve with bagoong (fermented shrimp paste), calamansi and steaming rice.
Share It To Your Friends!