- 1 to 1½ pounds okra, caps cut off and sliced
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- vegetable oil
- In a pie plate or paper lunch bag, mix together flour, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- Working in several batches, place okra in egg mixture and coat well.
- Transfer to pie plate or paper bag and coat with flour.
- Pour about 1 inch Vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven. Heat oil until about 375 degrees.
- Place a single layer of okra in the oil. Cook until golden brown on bottom and use a spoon to flip over. Try to flip over a few at a time or it will take a long time to work your way through all of them and a few pieces may burn by the time you get to them.
- Once golden brown on both sides, use a slotted spoon to remove okra to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle okra with some salt as soon as you remove it from the oil.
- Add more oil to the pan and fry remaining okra. Serve warm.
Source: Spicy Southern Kitchen
Share It To Your Friends!